Saturday, August 26, 2006

A sense of Deja Vu


"Doctor, I'm worried about this patient", blurted the nurse. The patient was Mr C, an elderly gentleman who had been admitted to hospital the day before for a severe chest infection. Mr C was now unresponsive & was gasping for air. This was a very, very sick man & he was going to die unless we acted fast.

My initial reaction was annoyance at the nurse for informing me of Mr C's condition so late. But the nurses HAD already informed one of the junior doctors. The "House Officer", the most junior doctor on the team had seen Mr C only minutes ago. In neat handwriting, I could read her assesment of Mr C & her management plan.

It was apparent from her notes that the House Officer hadn't appreciated the severity of his condition & had barely done anything. This man needed aggressive treatment & he needed to be transferred to the intensive care unit now! I summoned the assistance of my senior & arranged an urgent transfer.

While I was explaining to the patient's family of his condition, the "cardiac arrest" call came out on my bleep. Mr C had gone into cardiac arrest & soon the full arrest team turned up. Despite several cycles of chest compressions & lots of adrenaline, we were unable to revive Mr C & he was pronounced dead.

After the urgency of the arrest call had passed, I spotted the "House Officer" who had reviewed Mr C less than an hour ago. She was standing at the foot of the bed looking aghast. Her face was pale & her expression was that of shock.

I knew how she felt. I made the same terrible mistake as a House Officer 2 years ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quit medicine after studying for 4 years because I knew that would happen to me too.

Thankfully enough trainees hang in there and manage to cope with their mistakes. It's called learning on the job isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I think you should submit some of this genius to ww.themess.co.uk

Dan said...

I've had my share of mistakes in the past. I used to get pretty upset and it (my mistakes) would linger in the back of my mind for days.

But after thinking about it, to make mistakes is human. Its inevitable in Medicine. The important thing is to learn from them & move on.